View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
What about if you're unable to give "precise, objective definitions for racial categories", despite repeated requests?
See definitions provided above (eg. O'Brien & Mayr 1991). See those used in the thread on a meaningful biological definition of race. There are also a number of definitions for species too btw. You could look at how the concept is applied generally. Above you tried to assert that these could not apply to humans, but I responded why I think your objections don't stand up.

Again, here's the definition Jerry Coyne used:

Quote:
“In my own field of evolutionary biology, races of animals (also called “subspecies” or “ecotypes”) are morphologically distinguishable populations that live in allopatry (i.e. are geographically separated). There is no firm criterion on how much morphological difference it takes to delimit a race. Races of mice, for example, are described solely on the basis of difference in coat color, which could involve only one or two genes.”
Another from the definition thread:

Quote:
Quote:
We follow the Turtle Taxonomy Working Group (2007) who propose that “subspecies classification, if used, should describe the major patterns of variation found within a species.” O’Brien and Mayr (1991) also provide some guidance when diagnosing subspecies…. Phillips (2009). Systematics of Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus): subspecies recognition based on concordance of genetics and morphometrics.)”

Last edited by Chen019; 03-13-2012 at 05:26 PM..