View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
I've met Aborigines who have told me that they are full-blooded, and I see no reason to doubt them. All I've seen from you is a propensity to argue on the internet, so I'm just going to say this: I read what you wrote, I disagree, and I'm leaving it there.
Well, if you have a second hand anecdote from a party with a personal stake, that's completely different. Clearly there is no need for any other evidence. When science and logic contradict baseless anecdote, clearly we should believe the anecdote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon
But how would they possibly know if their great-great-great-great-grandmother was one-sixteenth Malayan?
Never mind that. Literacy rates among "full blooded" aborigines just 60 years ago were less than 10%, and most births were undocumented because Aborigines weren't included in any census.

So it would be extraordinary if anyone could even positively identify 8 Aboriginal Great Grandparents, let alone be sure of their ancestry beyond that point.

We aren't talking Great-great-great-great-grandparents here. I am highly skeptical that anyone even knows the name of more than half their Aboriginal great grandparents, and that's assuming a 20 year generation span.