View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 02:18 PM

Is it possible that this is some kind of reference to satanic ritual abuse? Is this a person with recovered [false] memories she still believes to be true, who was denied her day in court, or possibly took her "abuser" to civil court and lost, and still has a grudge? I know it would make more sense for the stone to say "ritually abused," but if she has any kind scar that she attributes to the abuse, she might use the term "mutilated," because, you know, more loaded word. Or maybe she means emotionally mutilated. People in the recovered memory camp can get pretty worked up.

I don't think -still- means a stillborn baby, because babies that were stillborn, or died very soon after birth, and not named, usually have markers that say "infant." I used to like poking around old cemeteries, and I've seen a sadly high number of "infant" stones, but never one "still," "stillborn," or anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaB View Post
The idea that Jews with tattoos can't be buried in Jewish cemeteries is a myth. (Tattoos aren't permitted by Jewish law, but that has nothing to do with ritual uncleanliness, and anyway, ritual uncleanliness is mostly irrelevant since the destruction of the Temple two millenia ago.) Also, in Jewish law, one is not held responsible for acts committed against one's will, like being tattooed by Nazis.
Having a tattoo forced on you against your will is not the same thing as acquiring one willingly. It's the same difference as having a scar from an accident or surgery, and having decorative, or ritual scarring. Even if a particular Jewish cemetery did have a policy against not burying people with voluntary tattoos, it would not deny burial to a camp survivor. The only reason I can think that a cemetery might have that rule is that some red inks for tattoos contain iron oxide, anyway, and I don't think the Germans used that.