View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Overweight or underweight. Some guys ate themselves into obesity or starved themselves down for the physical. However, IIRC, that could just get you retested in a few months, too, if you weren't that far over the line. I had a 2S, but I was the last year that could get one. They did away with that deferment for the last couple years of the draft. The 2S deferred you until you graduated from college. There was also a 1S that just let you finish out your current school year. Your draft board tried to dissuade you from the 2S by pointing out that it increased your eligibility by 2 years for every year you were deferred.

Quote:
Sarge, I'm only eighteen, I got a ruptured spleen
And I always carry a purse
I got eyes like a bat, and my feet are flat
My asthma's getting worse
"Always carry a purse" ... you always heard that one thing they would not question, and simply reject you for, is if you told them you were a homosexual. However, that would get you a permanent record of that "fact" following you around. In the 1970s that was not something you wanted, whether you were actually gay or straight. I don't believe it actually worked as advertised anyway.

(That bit was used by Dr. Freedman on "MASH" to call Klinger's bluff at one point, too.)