View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

The 'It's The First Time I Made This' cookery thread

A couple of weeks ago I made something I don't know what it is, but kind of a chicken dumpling casserole. Obviously that was the first time, since I made it up as I went along. Last week I made stuffed bell peppers for the first time. I mean, how hard could it be? Harder than getting them already made, or having someone's mother make them; but really not hard at all.

And that, the stuffed bell peppers, is the gist of this thread. What have you made that you've never made before? Maybe you've eaten it a hundred times before. You just never made it. Until now.

Everyone likes fish cakes, right? How many times have I had them? 'How hard can it be?' Pretty easy. Why haven't I made it before? Tonka the Cat (and later, Creamsicle) was very pleased with the dish of fish juice I drained from a 14(?) oz. can of wild-caught salmon. I mashed the salmon up in a medium-sized Pyrex bowl and added finely-minced yellow onion, bread crumbs, dried parsley, minced garlic, an egg, mayonnaise, and some Old Bay seasoning. I mixed it all up and formed it into eight patties, and put them in the fridge while I made the lemon-dill Béchamel sauce the SO likes to much. The sauce finished, I cooked the patties four at a time in a cast-iron frying pan with corn oil in it. Buttered Brussels sprouts were the veg. We each had two fish cakes. I'd have more, but I filled up on the sprouts. The SO said the fish cakes are delicious. ('Don't put them away! I might have some more!')

So, campers... I mean 'cookers'... what have you made for the first time, and how did it turn out?