View Single Post
Old 03-29-2015, 06:46 PM

I made egg drop soup for the first time 2 weeks ago. Or rather, I made it correctly for the first time.

What the hell is egg drop soup other than soup with some egg drizzled into it? BZZZZZT!!!!

Who knew? I followed the recipe in the NYT magazine to a T, and then added just a few things: A little bit of Sesame Seed Oil, some Low Sodium Soy Sauce and some Udon noodles. Holy shit was it good. And it was hearty enough to have for dinner (thanks to the Udon). It's all (well, mostly) in the corn starch-- mouth feel, baby, mouth feel. You have to thicken the soup to give it that mouth feel.

I made a big bowl:

2 cups chicken stock plus 1/2 cup water brought to a boil. Lower to simmer and add:

1 diced garlic clove
5 peper corns
1 length of ginger, diced (length of ~ 1 1/2 - 2")
5 sprigs of cilantro

Simmer for 20 minutes. (This adds important, subtle flavors)

Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of corns starch dissolved in white wine (and some soy sauce and sesame seed oil).

Add Udon (cooked separately)

Stir, and slowly add 1 egg beaten with 1/2 teaspoon corn starch. Let set of 10 minutes, and pour in to a large bowl with 2 chopped scallions (chopped very thinly)

Absolutely delicious. It seems like a lot of work for "just" egg drop soup, but it's just the 20 minutes of simmering that takes time. The rest is pretty quick.

I may even try Hot and Sour soup one of these days, but that requires a LOT of special ingredients.

Last edited by John Mace; 03-29-2015 at 06:49 PM.