View Single Post
Old 02-29-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
For a real nitpick: you don't pour concrete, you place it. Even when it's being pumped to the top of a building and comes sliding down a chute, it's being 'placed'. I suspect there are few outside of the construction game who know that.

Well, to be fair, it's not just movies or TV that does this, a quick Google search shows many instances of this, from Handyman magazine to Home Depot, to concretenetwork.com (in this case, the title is Pouring Concrete - How Concrete is Placed, but it still uses pouring in the article itself). It may be one of those common usage things that changes the definition of a word, like tragedy.
Gotta disagree with the OP. I was an engineer with a large consulting firm back in the day, and spent a lot of time as inspector on some huge concrete jobs (40,000+ yards). Almost always heard the word "pour" used instead of "placed". The word "placed" was used, but rarely.

I will say, one of the things that frosts my gourd is to hear a civilian refer to something like a "cement" sidewalk. It's a "concrete" sidewalk, dammit! "Cement" is what you put into the mix of sand, gravel, and water to make concrete.