Thread: Healthy dinner
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2016, 06:19 PM

Not sure how healthy this is, but last night I made a green chile stew that was just wonderful. And very simple to make, too.

3 - 4 lbs pork shoulder (or boneless, country ribs)
2 onions
1 large can diced tomatoes (28 Oz)
1 large can roasted green chiles (28 Oz)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
Garlic (diced, as much as you like!!)
1/4 cup flour
1 cup Chicken stock*

Cut the pork into 1-2 inch cubes, trimming excess fat. Salt and pepper both sides. Brown both sides in olive oil (do batches, if needed). Add the onions, coarsely chopped, and cook, covered, for about 5 minutes. Add the flour, and stir until it's evenly distributed. Add the tomatoes, with juice. Add the seasoning and the garlic. Drain the chiles, coarsely chop (I cut each one into 3 pcs) and add to the pot. Add the stock, and stir everything together. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serve over whatever you like (I used rice). The tomatoes impart a gentle acidity that is very tasty. And although it takes awhile to complete, the prep time is not bad at all. Plus, lots of left-overs.

*after apportioning the left-overs, I had about 1 cup of sauce remaining, so you might be able to omit the stock, or adjust as the simmering takes place as needed.