View Single Post
Old 03-31-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
Dixon Ticonderoga graphite pencils

"In 1827, Joseph Dixon" (of Marblehead, Mass.) "began his" (pencil factory) "business in Salem, Massachusetts and, with his son, was involved with the Tantiusques graphite mine in Sturbridge, Massachusetts. Dixon discovered the merits of graphite as a stove polish and an additive in lubricants, foundry facings, brake linings, oil-less bearings, and non-corrosive paints."

says Wikipedia.

I can't believe that he waited 31 years to attach the eraser (with a green crimper). Maybe he didn't patent it.
And Dixon Ticonderoga pencils still come with good, usable erasers on the end. Most cheap brands (like CVS, or the promotional ones) don't -- the erasers are often worse than useless, just smearing the graphite around.

Dixon Ticonderoga pencils also work very well as pencils, with smooth lead of perfectly even hardness, that doesn't break too easily. They are my preferred brand.

I like traditional pencils over mechanical ones. The very fine mechanical pencil leads seem to break too easily and too often. I can sharpen a good wooden pencil to be sharper than a fine-tip lead, and still write with it. and I can instantly change the angle of the pencil and get a slightly heavier line, or shade in lightly with a much wider writing surface, and then change the angle back and instantly get a fine writing tip again. A good traditional wooden pencil is a thing of beauty and a joy to use.