View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
All that sounds sensible and yes, I was thinking only of mainstream white US names at the time.

An interesting question is how much over the next, say, 50 years, Hispanic culture in the US becomes less insular and more integrated. Certainly there's lots of intermarrying going on now, and more all the time. Plus plain old cultural assimilation. Immigration will probably continue at a good clip, but the native born 1st, 2nd, and soon 3rd generation Hispanic USAians are only getting to be larger groups over time....
I think there are two big reasons why Hispanic identity in the USA has not merged with Anglo identity in the way that Irish-American and German-American identity have merged is that:

1) There is still a sizeable amount of immigration of Hispanic people to the USA, which keeps the language alive and which continues to make the ethnicity seem more foreign (since large numbers of those of the ethnicity are, in fact, foreigners or of foreign origin). If there were still large numbers of immigrants from Germany arriving every year and settling in to German-speaking enclaves in Memphis or wherever, I'd bet that today's fifth-generation English-speaking German-Americans would feel quite a bit more foreign than they do in our reality.

2) The presence of Puerto Rico, a Spanish-speaking island that has resisted assimilation. If there was, say, a large Gaelic-speaking island somewhere that had a complex and stressful but enduring relationship where all the inhabitants received automatic US citizenship, I'd guess that the descendants of Highlanders and Irish Gaels in the US (but outside this island) would feel much more Gaelic than they do in our reality.

Last edited by robert_columbia; 04-04-2016 at 07:20 PM.