View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
But what we are talking about here is copying people, not "beaming", "transporting" or moving people from point A to point B in any way, shape or form.
They use the transporter to cure people of disease, by comparing them with body scans from earlier, and (I think) the replicator uses the same special effect as the transporter, so I think it's pretty clear that the transporter is just a machine which 3D prints something based on a stored image.

But as displayed, transmitting people down to the planet surface, etc. it seems to function more like a wormhole that can be opened between any two arbitrary locations, swoop someone up from one end and deposit them at the other.

As far as that goes, I don't think we're anywhere past the stage of deciding that wormholes don't conflict with any of the math we have to describe the universe. Which is a long way away from thinking that they even exist, let alone constructing them, let alone using them in a useful manner. And, I'm not certain that our theories on wormholes would even allow for something to go through without being massively transformed (e.g., smashed, pulled apart, turned into energy, etc.)?

Last edited by Sage Rat; 04-13-2016 at 06:24 PM.