View Single Post
Old 04-15-2016, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
But that's only half of the entire question, though: The premise is that which is left behind is destroyed to make room for the new creation. Does the original lose all human rights if it is to be killed once the copy is made? Does the original lose all human rights if the original is to be killed before the copy is completed?
Every time this transporter question comes up in a thread I try to pose this question or a variation of it: If you claim that the transporter-created copy is, to all intents and purposes, you once it arrives at the intended destination, if there were a slight glitch and the original you weren't instantly dissipated during the original action would you be willing to to be taken off to a small room and be killed? No one who has claimed that the copy is just the same as the original has ever replied back.
Sure the copy is me. Just like the original is me. I wouldn't want to die just because someone made a copy of me, and neither would the copy want to die just because there's an original out there.

Or to put it another way, what's all this talk of "original" and "copy"? I've split into two people, both of whom can plausibly claim to be the same person as the person I was before I was split.

I wouldn't agree to be killed, no matter which of me you ask to volunteer. That doesn't mean the thing that arrives at the other end isn't me.