View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
This is not true. While a student can register at their home address, they can if they prefer register to vote at their college address. It's possible registering at your school address is part of or helpful in establishing residency for paying lower in-state tuition.
I want to clarify this, because while you are right, so is the person you are responding to. As far as I can tell:

Student ID's aren't acceptable for voting because it in no way establishes you are a legal resident of a particular state; you can in almost all circumstances go to school in one state, even far from home, without establishing residency. In addition, student ID's frequently don't include an address, and many state colleges are close enough to a border than students and can do communicate over the state line. Hence, while it may establish you are who you say you are, a student doesn't usually suffice to show that you live in a particular state or district.

If I made any errors here, feel free to correct me, but that's all I can figure on this one.

Last edited by smiling bandit; 04-24-2016 at 10:41 PM.