View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbroome View Post
I am not a historian, but it seems that this practice lasted quite late. I remember reading "The Kings Speech" about Mr. Lionel Logue, a speech therapist from Australia who came to England to help out the new King in the late 1920s. the Logue family traveled through the US on the way to England and made arrangements to stay with a series of people in the US of a similar class. That is, they didn't know them, but they had letters of introduction from people in Australia that did know them. Apparently this form of travel was the norm. One decided where one was going, found a friend able to write a letter to a friend at the destination, and off you went. Friend by friend.
It's still done by immigrants, more from more traditional societies but I've had people giving me the contact information for their relative who was "close" (by different definitions of "close") to where I was going. I never stayed with them but I did contact them for information about the area, where to look for housing, etc. My brother Jay has stayed at friend's houses and friends' of friends' houses while on vacation, started by someone who heard they were thinking of visiting the area where she lives and exclaimed "don't you dare stay in a hotel!" Ma'am, yes ma'am... (thee shalt not offend a Basque woman's hospitality). The brother of a Mexican coworker of mine had just gotten married in the area where we worked (the sister was there temporarily): when his in-laws heard she was staying in a hotel they promptly hooked her up with three possible shared homes to choose from; I had to explain that yes, they meant it and would in fact be terribly offended if she refused (thee shalt definitely not offend the hospitality of multiple Basque women).

Last edited by Nava; 05-11-2016 at 01:40 AM.