View Single Post
Old 06-22-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
Companies sometimes come up with unique tests to 'prove' their products are better than those of competitors. I've never heard of a raw egg test and I would doubt it's an official government test for mattresses. It just so happens that in this specific case the eggs don't break. I don't think that really proves it's a better mattress, unless you happen to be a raw egg.
It's not presented as any sort of official government test. It's used as a demonstration of how their bed works differently than regular beds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly View Post
I don't think the test demonstrates how great the mattress would be for a person. It shows that it's soft enough for the eggs to sink in so as not to be broken, and that the rest of the weight spread over the entire rest of the surface will prevent the plate from breaking the eggs, but since a person doesn't contact the entire surface area of the mattress with the person bits that don't sink in what does it prove?
Bodies aren't flat. They don't sit flat against anything. On your back, you have the curves of the spine and neck. On your side, you have your shoulders and hips versus the torso. In each case, trying to lie on a flat surface causes discomfort that leads to chronic pain.

The result is the need to have support that contours to the body so that you are fully supported at all lower areas rather than having pressure concentrations and alignment issues those cause.

All mattresses try to address those issues. The coil springs of a mattress are designed with a changing resistance, so the pressure points sink lower and the non pressure points still get some support. Foam cushion layers work to provide a similar kind of cushioning, crushing more on the parts that lie lower and sticking up more in the higher areas to try to support them there.

The problem is that none of these solutions really work. The ideal solution would be a custom fit bed that contours directly to your body so you get equal support on all parts. This is impractical as well as less useful, as you might like to move over or lie differently or let someone else use the bed.

The point of the egg test is attempting to show that it is soft enough that it gives under the pressure points without increasing the pressure on those locations relative to the support the rest of the body gets.

This test uses a flat plate that gives maximum contrast, but the principle is sound with respect to the human body. There are high points and low points that need to be supported, and adaptive cushioning seems a great solution. If you don't like the egg test, the science page shows some different visuals.

This test does demonstrate why traditional mattresses don't really accomplish what they intend to, and shows that the purple mattress does appear to work better. Of course it seems to me you can't really be sure without trying one out yourself.

That's the rub. The traditional mattress store model may lead to price increases at each step of the process, but it does allow you to try before you by. Purple's model seems to be the buy so you can try model.

Now they do offer a 100 night guarantee, whereby if you don't like it you can return it at no charge. They pay shipping. That at least takes some of the sting out of the potential for buyer's remorse.

They also address one other problem of traditional mattresses - the propensity to degrade over time and become saggy. They claim they don't have that problem. Of course the egg test does nothing to address that claim.

In summary, the egg test appears to be a highly dramatic demonstration of a key failing in traditional mattresses and how Purple attempts to provide a superior performance.