View Single Post
  #35  
Old 07-13-2016, 05:27 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 41,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by si_blakely View Post
Remember that distillation is just concentrating the products of fermentation.

So while yeast mainly produce ethanol during anerobic digestion, they do also produce some methanol. The problem is that methanol is rather toxic, and the concentration provided by distillation is enough to make the end result lethal, if the early fraction (containing most of the methanol) is not discarded.
My understanding is that typically the stories you hear about people going blind or dying from illegal spirits is because they've been cut with antifreeze or industrial methanol, not improperly distilled. I've researched this before and it seems that even if you don't discard the "heads," you'll at worst suffer from a nasty hangover and the amount of alcohol you would need to drink to get methanol poisoning would kill you before you reach that point.

Last edited by pulykamell; 07-13-2016 at 05:28 PM.