View Single Post
Old 08-14-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
[Schulhoff]'s early works exhibit the influence of composers from the preceding generation, including Debussy, Scriabin, and Richard Strauss. Later, during his Dadaist phase, Schulhoff composed a number of pieces with absurdist elements. In futurum, part of his Fünf Pittoresken for piano, is a silent piece composed entirely of rests that anticipates John Cage's 4′33″ by over thirty years. Schulhoff's composition is notated in great rhythmic detail, employing bizarre time signatures and intricate rhythmic patterns.
From here.

In short, both pieces are completely silent.

But the difference is that Schulhoff actually went to some absurd lengths to fill the sheet music with rests of various durations only (no notes), in complex time signatures and with some indications like clefs and fermatas (i.e. pauses), all of which are completely useless of course. Amusing and clever.

Cage picked a sheet of paper, wrote "I, II, III" , each followed by "Tacet" (silent) and said: "Job done!". Stupid and lazy.

None of these two works are masterpieces, mind you, but as I said earlier, the Schulhoff makes me smile. The Cage doesn't even deserve a "roll eyes" (and yet some hipsters will tell you that it's "like, so deep.").

Last edited by Les Espaces Du Sommeil; 08-14-2016 at 10:11 AM.