View Single Post
Old 08-23-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Another way to reduce the tears is to dice the onion properly. Most people peel the skin off, then slice the onion up, then dice the slices. This exposes you to large areas of onion.

A proper dice (for me) is done by slicing off the ends and peeling of the first layer, of course. Then set the onion on its end and with a sharp knife, slice the onion most of the way through in the desired width, proceeding across the entire onion. Then rotate the onion 90 degrees and do the same. This creates an in situ dice. Then turn the onion on its side and rapidly cut across your previous slicing to produce the dice you want. Videos I've seen want you to cut the onion in half first, but it seems more likely that you can cut yourself doing it that way, as it requires you to do horizontal cuts.
Unless you're really set on having exactly square dice, I've always found it best to cut the onion in half, take off the skin, cut off the non-root end, lay the onion half on the cutting board, cut side down, and start making radial cuts with your knife point toward the root end (leave the root end on- it holds the onion together as you cut). Then, once you've made as many radial cuts as you want, turn the onion 90 degrees sideways and cut down across those radial cuts, making not-quite-square or exactly even dice, but with no horizontal cutting step.

Radial cuts vs. vertical/horizontal cuts.