View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Similar to The Ramones: people dismissed them as loud punks, but when you read about them, and actually listen, they loved Phil Spector's Wall of Sound pop songs, couldn't afford or know what to do with a roomful of studio musicians, so they consciously tried to get that filled-in sound with guitar distortion.
Same with their lyrics. People may say they were simplistic or didn't make any sense, but I find songs like Teenage Lobotomy or Cretin Hop very clever (isn't "Guess I have to break the news, that I got no mind to lose" a great line?). Those lyrics perfectly matched the music, and Joey's obsession with mental illness was grounded in his own lifetime struggles, and in my book were a perfect expression of handling them. Though the Ramones may never have heard of Hans Arp or Kurt Schwitters, there's a common thread from 1916 Cabaret Voltaire, Zurich Dada to modern Punk (if anybody is interested further, I can only recommend Greil Marcus' book Lipstick Traces about those commonalities). Primitive doesn't always equal dumb.