View Single Post
Old 09-13-2016, 02:38 PM

Dating the Tootsie Roll Pop Wrapper Legend

Most posters here probably know of the Tootsie Roll Pop Indian Wrapper urban legend (the legend being, if you found a child dressed up as a Native American shooting an arrow at a star on a wrapper, you could redeem it for a free pop/bag of pops).

What I'm interested in, and could use folks' help on, is finding the earliest documented mention of this legend.

Snopes and other sources claim that the legend has been around since the 1930s ("The rumor that Tootsie Pop wrappers featuring an Indian can be redeemed for free candy has dogged the Tootsie Roll company since Indian on Tootsie Roll wrapper shortly after the introduction of the chewy-centered lollipops in 1931"), but the earliest actual mention I can find is from a newspaper article in 1985 (Wilmington Morning Star / Wednesday, October 16, 1985, p. 3D)).

The aforementioned Snopes entry lists "Morgan, Hall and Kerry Tucker. Rumor! New York: Penguin Books, 1984. ISBN 0-14-007036-2 (pp. 63-64)." as a reference. I haven't been able to procure a copy of the book (for those seeking a copy, note that one of the co-author's names is 'Hal Morgan', not 'Hall Morgan' as Snopes mistakenly lists), so if anyone could quote the relevant passage, that would be great.

So my question is where did the claim that the rumor has been around since the 1930s originate? And can anyone provide a documented reference earlier than 1984?

Much obliged for any help.

Last edited by DPRK; 09-13-2016 at 02:39 PM. Reason: typos