Thread: Stink bugs
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2016, 01:39 PM

Stink bugs

I just googled "stink bug" as a consequence of seeing one and wondering how damaging they are to roses, basil, trees etc.

I ran into not one but at least three sites saying that stink bugs only appeared on this continent (North America BTW) in the 1990s. In one case the site (Pennsylvania extension services) spoke only of the "brown marmorated stink bug" but the other sites seemed to be talking about all stink bugs.

Now the weird thing is that stink bugs, called that and looking exactly like those pictured on the internet, have been around forever. As in, I remember them from when I was a kid, and I was a kid a long, long time ago. These bugs were around in various states I lived in. I don't remember specifically seeing them in California, but I saw them in Oklahoma and Texas (of course, those states would have the latest bugs).

So what's going on here? Why is the internet telling me these bugs are recent immigrants? In the case of one site, which is something like "science for children*," the information appear to be wrong (gasp!) and should probably be corrected...somehow.

Last edited by Hilarity N. Suze; 10-11-2016 at 01:40 PM. Reason: *ETA: "pest world for kids"