View Single Post
Old 11-17-2016, 04:37 PM

Just from SCR4s link, without checking the OP link, the problem was discovered during the routine replacement of the codes. Clearly there's a method, if not a timely one, to replace the codes regularly.

An acronym from my military time related to communication planning - PACE (Primary, Alternate, Contingency, and Emergency.) It's kind of a thing to assume any single method of communication can be jammed, blown up, lost, etc.

For contingency planning I'd assume someone's thought of the fact that an assassination attempt on the President may kill the President and/or code carrier. That attempt may involve the codes/football getting separated from the President. Not completely incompetent contingency planning would have a method to address that.

Then there's the whole issue of the kind of investigation this likely triggered. Think abducted by aliens and anally probed as a less onerous choice just based on the pain I've seen for far less critical issues. Just because it happened once doesn't mean the system is anything like it was then.