View Single Post
Old 11-22-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
I am, I suspect, older than you, since I had no idea who Heidi Montag is, and it certainly ain't because I'm too young.

My contribution: For about two years in the late 1970s, one of the hottest entertainment acts in the country was the husband and wife mime team of Shields and Yarnell. Apart from Marcel Marceau, it may be difficult to imagine a celebrity mime act. But trust me, for awhile there, Shields and Yarnell were everywhere. They guest-starred on everything from The Muppet Show to The Tonight Show to Wonder Woman, performed for presidents and Queen Elizabeth II, and even had their own variety show for about a month. But who remembers them now?

All celebrities will fade from the public consciousness eventually. But Shields and Yarnell are the only ones that I look back on from my childhood and wonder how they managed to get so famous in the first place. It's hard to imagine an act like that getting that sort of attention today.
I was in HS and college in the late seventies, perhaps the prime years for Entertainment Awareness, and this act sounds quirky enough to have been especially appealing to my teenage self... and yet I'm sure that I never ran into them!

Last edited by Ulf the Unwashed; 11-22-2016 at 06:26 PM.