View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
No matter what super-duper techno-business endeavors can be postulated, OP question comes up against its truly limiting answer, of course, and there are non-hypothetical answers currently on the books, despite what any voted-for referendum claims.

As mentioned above, the final hammer comes from federal-state law. I clipped the quote from Stranger where, I believe, the strongest current national legal answer is presented.

A single state acting "for its own purposes" has been slapped down throughout US history. I wonder what Constitutional issues could be brought to bear if it reaches the Supreme Court.
There's literally nothing in American history that would suggest the Federal government has problems with state-lead initiatives, even ones that mirror Federal ones. The opposite, in fact, the Feds often push states to mirror Federal initiatives. For example all the states have some state level equivalent to the EPA, and they do a lot of the actual grunt work of enforcing environmental laws (and to get Federal grants, they even make sure that Federal laws are enforced, because they craft state regulations to comply with Federal laws and then enforce said regulations), many states would like to not even have such agencies, but there are carrot/stick methods the Federal government has used to cajole them into existence.

If a state wanted to try and do some of the stuff NASA currently does in regard to earth or climate science it's basically unimaginable the Federal government would take much of a position on it at all--particularly one ran by Republicans who love Federalism.