View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isilder View Post
More to the point, the federal government doesn't want a state to spend its revenue on wasteful projects and then ask for federal grants to do proper state work.

states therefore tend to focus on the typical state issues on the ground and not go all extraterritorial..

Any one satellite must always be useful to many states and it would not be politic to just go and do something for themselves, they'd have difficulty getting approvals from the feds, and even if they went international, to bypass FAA approval or something, that wouldn't work, but even if they were simply buying an already launched satellite .. there'd be a federal law .. quickly.. what I mean is the current lack of law is just because states don't do this. There is no need for a law because it just doesn't happen. The lack of a law doesn't mean that the feds wouldn't create it .. they could easily create it if they had a trigger to create it. , satellites being telecommunication and aviation and environmental.. fed power... For example, if a state launched its own satellite because the federal service was too expensive.. competition ? nope, state you can't do that !
Excuse me? "Federal government doesn't want a state to spend its revenue on wasteful projects." I've never seen any such evidence. Further, we have a constitution, it entitles the States to largely do whatever they want as long as it doesn't violate specific prohibitions in the U.S. Constitution, and as long as it doesn't attempt to do something specifically reserved for the Federal government in the constitution (like conduct foreign policy, declare war, mint coins or etc.)

On top of all that, we have a 240 year history in which States have often engaged in extremely wasteful endeavors, the only time the Feds have legitimate legal action in such cases is if State agencies are misspending Federal grant money, or doing things that put them out of compliance with laws that require compliance to receive Federal monies. Otherwise waste in State government isn't the bailiwick of anyone in the Federal government, period.