View Single Post
Old 12-18-2016, 11:55 AM

I think genetics does indeed play a big part, at least as a starting point. After that it's just like athletics; the more you exercise the brain, the better it gets.

Knowledge doesn't just appear in ones brain. Knowledge is acquired through education and experience. I'm pretty sure that if I had the drive and determination I could have been a lot more successful in life. Hey, I'm not complaining. I earn a very good living, but if it wasn't for my like of slacking off and partying I could have really excelled.

Wayne Gretzky used to get up in the morning and spend an hour skating in the back yard rink before school each day in the winter. When he got home from school he spent time on the rink till supper. He ate, and then went back to the rink until bed time. He did this every day and all day on weekends for what, maybe 4 or 5 months a year. He no doubt had a predisposition genetically for athletics, but he practiced as much as he could as often as he could.

Now, imagine reading for knowledge an hour in the morning, five hours in the evening, and all day every weekend, especially in your formative years. How damned smart would you be by the time you were 16?

Last edited by Leaffan; 12-18-2016 at 11:55 AM.