View Single Post
Old 12-21-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
No doubt genetics plays a role, but the existence of the Flynn effect proves that genetics can't possibly be the only factor. The genetic makeup of humanity can't change nearly fast enough in 100 years to explain the Flynn effect - but our environment can.
But for example, I helped my wife study for an IQ test. Some jobs ask for an aptitude and skills test - thing like a sequence of circles inside triangles of black or white... which one is next in the sequence? By trying a few examples, the concept was far easier to show. I imagine other applicants for the promotion who hadn't seen this sort of stuff since maybe high school - how likely are they to grasp the idea and figure out "aha - this is black triangle, white, black, white, next has to be black. Meanwhile circle, square, circle, square - next has to be inside a circle. A bit of training always helps.

Similarly, some people are better at guessing math sequences - aha, this is double the Fibonacci numbers, this is squares minus one, this sequence is adding 1, then 2, then 3... Simple puzzles; once you know what sort of things to look for, you can solve much faster. The range of exposure to these is what I imagine the Flynn effect to be all about.

(Of course, there's the classic - O,T,T,F,F,S,S,... What's next. This requires you to notice "One, Two, Three, Four, etc." A much more complex "aha!".)

Last edited by md2000; 12-21-2016 at 02:34 PM.