View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 10:23 AM

But we haven't even agreed on what type of 'smart' we are talking about. No, I'm not talking about physical coordination vs. social interactions vs. musical creativity and so forth.

What about speed of thinking vs. breadth of knowledge vs. depth/power of thinking?

I'd guess experience and training might affect the speed part the most. A chess master takes much less time to decide how best to proceed in a game situation than a novice does: he can eliminate whole swathes of possible lines as unpromising right away, because he's worked through them in the past.

Breadth of knowledge is probably the most easily affected and where nurture and environment come in. A player who has had access to books about chess play and the time/inclination to study them will know how to use strategies someone without those resources has no idea exist.

But depth/power of thinkig, the sheer ability to work out something new, to figure things out beyond what has been shown/taught you, to come up with a new solution to a problem.... I think that must be purely genetic. Being able to hold the positions of the board in your mind, 'look' at what they will be if you do X, and then what if the other guy does Y, and then you do Z.... That seems like it might depend on the pure 'hardware' of the brain.

Actually, that seems sort of like a computer analogy would fit. How good is the programming vs. how much data is stored vs. how fast can you flip them 0s and 1s.