View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
I'm not a picky eater by any stretch of the imagination, but olives just have an off putting taste to me. I've never been able to find them appetizing. Yet many people find them delicious. I use the hell out of olive oil though. It's my go to oil for almost everything.
Huh. I have a brother who doesn't like olives, and he's the only one in the family who doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
That is because there are people like my ex-wife and I that are taking the bullet for you. It is a noble profession in that way. You won't ever be able to buy the disgusting ones in your local supermarket because they have been carefully vetted. There is a market for stinky cheeses but it is easy to pass the limit of what any normal person can tolerate.
Oh, I'm sure there are some truly disgusting cheeses I'll never get to try. I'm quite happy with the level of disgustingness I've encountered thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
Anyway, the way Russians eat caviar is to slice bread thick, spread a pretty thick layer of UNSALTED butter on it (you have to ask if you want salt on your table), and then spread a layer of caviar on the butter. The caviar is not usually spread quite as thick as the butter. Or, at least it was that way for years up until the 1970s, when I was there, and the Russians who visited us in the 80s still did it.

If you are determined to keep trying caviar, try it like that. Use a farmer's white bread, or a light rye bread. A marble rye would probably also work, although I don't recall ever seeing marble rye in Russia.
That sounds like a plan, and I'm just enough of a glutton for punishment to actually try it. If nothing else, I'll have some good white bread and unsalted butter.