View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
There shouldn't be any qualitative difference between kosher and non-kosher hot dogs. "Kosher" just means that the animals were slaughtered in a particular way.
The Kosher dogs my dad used to buy in the American Midwest (primarily from Chicago) came from a different universe than the all-beef franks I get here in Toronto. (I suppose I could try a Halal butcher and see if I can find anything like them. I have yet to see Kosher meat offered anywhere near where I live.)

Quote:
I have lived in Russia, where caviar is on every table like ketchup in the US.
I lived in Russia full-time from 1992 to 2008. I can recall only one instance where I was offered caviar in someone's kitchen, and that was because (a) the couple was rich (we're talking BUCKETS of fresh black caviar) and (b) I was giving the wife English lessons. Nowadays, the average Russian can barely afford a tin of the stuff to enjoy at New Year's, and supermarkets keep their selection under lock and key. I go back to Russia at least twice a year, and have noticed that ersatz caviar made from kelp is now on sale in a lot of stores. (Not bad stuff, either.)

Quote:
Anyway, the way Russians eat caviar is to slice bread thick, spread a pretty thick layer of UNSALTED butter on it (you have to ask if you want salt on your table), and then spread a layer of caviar on the butter. The caviar is not usually spread quite as thick as the butter. Or, at least it was that way for years up until the 1970s, when I was there, and the Russians who visited us in the 80s still did it.
This is quite common wherever hors d'oeuvres are served. The bread is normally a round slice from a baguette, and is not terribly thick. The caviar is usually red salmon roe and comes with thin slices of smoked salmon curled and placed on top. You can sprinkle it with lemon juice, if you want.

Quote:
If you are determined to keep trying caviar, try it like that. Use a farmer's white bread, or a light rye bread. A marble rye would probably also work, although I don't recall ever seeing marble rye in Russia.
Neither do I, though my local supermarket (in Moscow) always has a bewildering variety of bread on sale.