View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 12:51 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard John Marcej View Post
In 1982 I went to see the film John Carpenter's The Thing at a stand alone theater (just one screen, not a cineplex) I was early and the theater was empty and surprisingly dark. They didn't play any pre-entertainment videos on screen, they just played the soundtrack of the film.

Ennio Morricone's score is desolate and stark and has a real feeling of foreboding. It was especially jarring considering I was here to see a Carpenter film and was expecting to hear a typical Carpenter composed soundtrack dominated with synthesizers, but instead to hear this haunting score highlighted by lonely piano pieces and shrieking strings.... I'm sure it wasn't the intent of the theater, but by playing this beforehand I was really amped to see this film!

I guess I'm not the only one who really likes this soundtrack, since they lifted parts of it to play on the soundtrack of The Hateful Eight last year and it won Morricone an Oscar!

If you've never listened to this soundtrack, give it a listen
This has been one of my favorite soundtracks for ages. For me, the music can be described with one word: Despair.

If you've heard only the old OST album, I strongly recommend you take a look at this:

https://www.amazon.com/JOHN-CARPENTE.../dp/B005YRBUN0

It's very good.