View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
If you are talking about harmonica solos, it has to be "Whammer Jammer."
That's definitely one of _the_ classic blues rock harmonica songs.

I'm trying to think if there's any good examples of Howard Levy playing in a rock/pop context and showing off his harmonica skills, but I can't think of any. The dude's an absolute beast on the diatonic harmonica (the standard 10-hole kind--he makes it sound like a chromatic, one of the pioneers in developing that instrument and technique.) But if instrumental bands were considered, Bela Fleck & the Flecktones has banjo solos, harmonica solos, bass solos, and the occasional "drumitar" solo. (Oh, and sax in other formations of the band.) But none of those are really weird in a jazz/fusion context except for the banjo (and, well, I guess the unique "drumitar.")

Radiohead has a bunch of songs that use the ondes martenot, a rather rare electronic instrument that has a theramin-type of sound. While it has a keyboard, it's often played just with a rang that has a ribbon attached to it that you slide below the keyboard. "National Anthem" has the closest to what I would call a "solo." In most cases, it's just background instrumentation in the arrangement, but here it takes a forward, melodic role, although it's still not quite your typical extemporaneous solo in the middle of a song.

Last edited by pulykamell; 03-08-2017 at 10:41 AM.