View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
I made "The Best Lemon Bars" last week. We have a lemon tree and I didn't want the lemons to go to waste. Unfortunately, they were actually the worst lemon bars. I probably needed to bake the shortbread longer in the first step so it would be more cookie-like. It was actually mush, and it absorbed all the lemon mixture so I had a big pan of lemon mush.

No one in the household would eat more than a bite, except for one of the goats, and I think he was just trying to be nice. I threw it away.
Far too little flour to make the filling thick enough. The recipe I use now was similar, wound up adding 3 Tbsp. cornstarch(which has the thickening power of 6 Tbsp. of flour)
The bars now slice very cleanly, not mushy or ooze-y. btw, there's no lemon zest in that recipe, grate the rind of 2 lemons and add to the liquid ingredients(it's the zest rather than the liquid that'll give you that nice tart flavor these bars are supposed to have)
Bake the crust to a light golden color at the edges, and pour on the filling while the crust is still hot( I don't even take the pan out of the oven) Also, try baking the bars a bit longer.