View Single Post
Old 04-01-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post
It is great on popcorn.
Use it like butter -- on sandwiches, rolls, biscuits, etc.

Brian
Never thought of popcorn. I dont think I'd do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by moes lotion View Post
My parents were also children of the 1920's great depression, and saving bacon fat was part of my mother's routine. I no longer have the recipe, but she made dynamite cornmeal muffins, using the bacon fat in place of shortening. Ditto for frying bread in it, the other classic snack food was grilled cheese sandwiches with a filling of grated cheddar mixed with Helman's mayonnaise, grilled in bacon fat. I'm starting to drool just typing this...
as I recall, the depression was in the 30's, but I could be wrong, I wasnt there and I always will admit if I am wrong

I love bacon! Not had any in months. I'd like to avoid it the rest of my life. I cant eat anything in moderation (*if it tastes good, I keep eating!) so I have to just go cold turkey on these things but I know I'll have more, before long

Otherwise, bacon grease can be saved for eternity. Keep in tight container though

I make baked beans, I fry the onions in a little bit of the bacon grease. Any leftover bacon, goes in the beans of course.

When I do buy bacon I try to break it into three packages. I've tried four but bacon tastes good--(see* above)

oh and incidentally I should save the grease but I dont.