View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I can envision, for instance, a form of life not dependent on any form of matter at all, and composed entirely of gravitational waves.
Only if you are stupendously lazy*. Gravity waves, like all light waves, pass through each other without interacting. Life actually requires a number of far more specific characteristics to work :

a. It requires something able to catalyze something else into a piece of the same something. Gravity waves are right out because of the lack of interaction.

b. Complex life requires a pool of these self-catalyzing devices to be present in the same place and time such that they can compete with one another. A cloud of gas or small specs of nanometer scale dust expanding forever into the void cannot become complex life.

c. Complex life requires the environment to be stable enough that the information - the catalyzing "something" - is not destroyed faster than it can be created. This also means there must be an energy gradient to create information. Thus, a ball of matter at a smidgen over zero kelvin can't create life, no energy gradient. The hot gas cloud of our sun doesn't support life starting there, too much disruption for it to ever evolve.

And like 10 others, point is, gravity waves fail the first test and many other tests will fail out a great many other possibilities.

*Ok, I apologize for being harsh, but I don't see how you could have "envisioned" this working. You would have needed to think of a way for a gravity wave - which requires mass to be created - to catalyze the creation of an identical gravity wave to itself, or a sub-component of itself that can be assembled into itself. That's the first step towards life. The very first one.

Last edited by SamuelA; 04-18-2017 at 12:26 PM.