View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 01:08 PM

When I was young (in the late 60s and early 70s), I thought that my parents had horrible taste in music, because they'd listen to the "beautiful music" radio station when we were in the car -- Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, Mantovani, Percy Faith, etc.

Later, I realized that, at that time, there were really very few music formats available on the radio (particularly on AM): Top 40 pop, country, or that beautiful music station. And, they listened to the latter because they had no use for the other two formats.

I discovered that my parents (particular my mom) were folkies in the early 1960s, and they really enjoyed Peter, Paul & Mary, The Kingston Trio, Trini Lopez, etc., as well as Herb Alpert. My mom is also a Nina Simone fan. While none of those performers are ones that I listen to frequently, I enjoy them, and I do have a sampling of folk music on my iTunes playlist.

My parents don't generally listen to any of the music that I prefer (mostly rock from the 1970s), though my mother has, on occasion, heard me listening to certain songs (for example, ELO's "Shangri-La"), and noted that she liked it.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 05-10-2017 at 01:11 PM.