View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 03:36 PM

I absolutely LOVE summer salads. My basic recipe can be varied in all kinds of ways, but has the same basic components:

-Grain (pearled farro, wheat berries, bulgur wheat, or quinoa) or beans (black beans and garbanzos are my favorites)
-Oil (usually canola, but I had some fancy nut oils from Trader Joe's that were good too)
-Acid (red wine or balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, or verjus)
-Green onions (can't skip these)
-Other herbs and vegetables (cucumber, tomato, sweet peppers, flat-leaf parsley, cilantro, mint, oregano, thyme)
-Optional cheese (crumbled feta or chevre)
-Salt and pepper

My very favorite combos of this are quinoa with cucumbers, farro with all the veggies, and bulgur wheat with tomato, feta, and all the green herbs I can find. Oh--black beans with green herbs and extra green onion, too.

Carrot salad is a perennial favorite: shred carrots and dress with oil, lemon juice, grainy mustard, garlic powder, salt, pepper. Can substitute shredded beets for part or all of it, just don't stain your fingers...

Zucchini ribbon salad: use a vegetable peeler to make a pile of zucchini ribbons. Dress with oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, green onions, chevre or feta cheese, some kind of seed or nut, and lots of chopped green herbs

On green salads I like whole wheat rotini, grape tomatoes, and pressed raw garlic. Also hard boiled eggs and ranch dressing (swoon). Or a combination of finely chopped radishes, carrots, and green onion with a balsamic dressing. Or classic Greek salads.