View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 04:37 AM

Another vote for Calvin and Hobbes.
Deep and Imaginative ideas, whimsical humor, eloquent yet tight writing, excellent art. This is a real all-rounder.

As a teen, I also loved Matt Groening’s Life in Hell for it’s dark and off-beat humor.

Worst: Probably Mary Worth.
Also, although I’ve only skimmed through a few, I’d say Funky Winkerbean has to be in the running for one of the worst by being both a humorless “funny” comic and a pretentious “serious” comic at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticKnot View Post
almost everyone loves The Far Side.
To nitpick, The Far Side, though often brilliantly funny and despite being one of my all-time favorite "funnies", is not technically a comic strip.
For this same reason, I can’t include the often profound and always quirky work of Leunig or the deliciously sardonic work of Kaz Cooke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini Enfield View Post
I've never understood or got the popularity of Doonesbury, or why Australian newspapers run it. Worse, I often see "Classic Doonesbury" from the 1970s and think "Who, in this country, is amused by a political comic strip from before the invention of cassette tapes???"
Heh. I'll cop to that. Even as a kid I liked the ironic humor of Doonesbury, although a lot of it sailed right over my head. It also had an intriguing format and played around with its narratives and artwork in a sort of cinematic way that I found interesting.