View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 09:23 AM

Thank you all. I bookmarked this and will be looking at some of these to try this summer. Actually, I'm looking at Chefguy's Waldorf salad for this weekend.

I often make pasta salad to take to lunch for work, or to have as a quick dinner. I don't have any measurements but it's an easy thing to do, just add/remove whatever you like or don't like.

My usual pasta salad:

Veggie stuff:
  • Quartered chunks of cukes (kept separate because I have texture issues with cukes gone soft)
  • Mandoline-thin-cut radishes
  • shredded carrots
  • black olive slices
  • green pimento-stuffed olives, halved or sliced.
  • VERY SLIGHTLY BLANCHED broccoli florets, cut very small. (Cook 1 minute, then plunge into ice-cold water) You can use raw, I just prefer blanched.

You can add a lot of other veggies -- whatever you like on your salad! Tomatoes or peppers would be good. I don't use them because my tummy does not accept uncooked tomatoes or any green/bell peppers. Cauliflower. Those zucchini noodles might be good if you cut them up.

Pasta (I like either tricolored rotini or plain tiny shells)
Cook pasta according to directions. At very end, total last minute, add tiny baby peas.
Cook a minute or two (tops), then drain. I cool by running cold water over the pasta. You can omit this.

After the pasta and peas are well-drained, I put them in a large bowl. Add all the veggies you want. Dress with a oil-and-vinegar-based dressing of your choice. I've done red wine vinegarettes, including some with parmesean in the dressing. I've done cracked black pepper and stuff in the dressing. You can use bottled dressing if you want or prefer. I don't care for pre-made creamy dressing on this, but if you make your own that balances oil and vinegar and the creamy stuff, it could be ok.

I have had this for lunch many times and people who see it always ooh and ahh like I brought in beef Wellington. Sometimes I serve on really fresh, good salad greens (I'm growing butter bowl and rocket just for this). Sometimes I add shredded rotisserie chicken. Sometimes I serve with a piece of cold cooked salmon or cold beef, sliced thin.

Last edited by GrumpyBunny; 05-19-2017 at 09:25 AM.