View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2000 View Post
Consider the spread through the Americas. 13,000 miles from one end to the other. To do that distance in, say, 1,000 years, groups would have to travel 13 miles a year. Hardly a break-neck speed. They probably went that far in one hunting trip.
Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? You sound like you're disagreeing, but traveling 13 miles a year is not "sticking in one place". Sticking in one place is sticking in one place.

Quote:
I would see two factors at work - as soon as the tribe hit a pocket of very fertile, very lush landscape, they would spread very quickly to cover the entire territory and keep going. Plus, within a generation or two they would exceed the carrying capacity of the land and head out in search of newer pastures... literally.
I'm not seeing your point. Is there some research or published papers somewhere with evidence to support that hypothesis? Is this something you are quoting from an anthropology journal or textbook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase
Populations expanding the boundaries of their area while establishing permanent farming communities is not how nomadism is defined.
Just FYI, I purposely didn't say they were nomads. I said they didn't stick in one place once out of Africa. We really don't know much about how humans lived pre-agriculture since the fossil record is so scarce. It's quite possible that we lived various different lifestyles depending on the environment we found ourselves in. Our species is nothing if not adaptable.

Last edited by John Mace; 05-29-2017 at 02:40 PM.