View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
the most difficult period in purely agrarian societies is... dammit, what's the English word for soudure, do you even have one ? Anyway, it's spring/early summer (late Feb to early May), when the reserves from last year start running short but the new harvest's not in yet.

But in that period, well, you *can* supplement your diet with gathering and hunting/fishing - and so even though lean years and famines around that time have been a very regular staple throughout recorded history, it hasn't become a central cultural or religious focus of doom and gloom like winter used to be - to the point that English might not even have a bloody word for it that I can find .
IANA expert, but as a native English speaker with a pretty hefty vocabulary I've never heard of a single word for that concept. So you shouldn't feel frustrated to not find it.

We certainly have aphorisms like "It's always darkest before the dawn" which connote a similar idea: there's a point of low ebb in any cycle and even the early phases of the upswing still resemble more of what was than what will be.

But I know of no word for that idea or for the time period before first harvest when supplies would be critically low.

Last edited by LSLGuy; 05-29-2017 at 05:46 PM.