View Single Post
Old 05-31-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
I've read The Curse of Chalion, by Bujold, probably 8 or 9 times, which is 6 or 7 more times than any other book I can think of. It's just a beautifully written book, an interesting fantasy incorporating an interesting theology.
Me, too. In fact, I love - and frequently reread - all of her "World of the Five Gods" works. The religion is, as you noted, fascinating - one reviewer called them works of "speculative theology". The last novel, about Penric and Desdemona, she seems to be writing as a series of novellas. The first three, Penric's Demon, Penric and the Shaman, and Penric's Mission can be read as standalones; but the next one, Mira's Last Dance, not only flows directly from the event's of Penric's Mission, but ends on a cliffhanger. I suspect that is when she realized she's writing a serialized novel. I can't wait for the next installment.

Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga is also fantastic. She has the gift of writing believable, fleshed out male characters, as well as female. As well as a nice touch of humor.

A series that I periodically return to again and again - for no reason I could easily describe - is William Gibson's post-cyberpunk "Bigend" trilogy - Pattern Recognition, Spook Country, and Zero History. Interesting stories and compelling characters - I especially like Hollis Henry, Fiona, and Milgrim - but there's something about the flow of Gibson's prose that is both soothing and quietly compelling.