View Single Post
Old 06-01-2017, 09:20 AM

A few books were like that for me. I was a voracious reader when I was a kid. Grandfather taught me how to read before I started school, and I almost always had a book with me. He used to give me books by the boxload. I even got chased out of the adult book section of my local library (my mom had a fit and balled out the librarian).

Anyway, my very first pageturners were probably the Tom Swift series. The next one was probably T.H. White's "The Once and Future King". I also ravenously consumed a whole lot of Asimov, starting with "Pebble in the Sky" (never tried his juveniles), and then discovered "The God's Themselves" which I still think was his best work. I read almost everything of his that I could find (not all of which were page-turners). Of course I devoured his Robot stories.

The next big page-turner I found was "Dune". I devoured "Time Enough for Love", "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress", and "Stranger in a Strange Land"

When I got older, and in college, I had a Vonnegut kick, and went through several of his novels in a few days -- "Mother Night"was my favorite.

I've been a much slower reader lately. "American Gods" is my current favorite, but still, it took me a few days. I've devoured a few of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, but it's not like when I was younger, and could just sit and read for hours at a time. My focus just isn't what it used to be.