View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 09:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
If I remember correctly, when I was a kid in the early 70s, all the theaters in town had just one screen (which would have made it confusing if they played two movies at the same time, though there may have been some double features). Eventually, some of them got reconfigured to add another screen(s), while others just closed. (By the way, your question inspired me to check Wikipedia to find out when multiplexes started becoming a thing.)

As I understand it, movie theaters in the old days were more likely to be downtown, and were more likely to be fancy and ornate and seat a lot of people (all in the same auditorium), and going to see a movie had more of the feel of attending live entertainment than it does today. Which I kind of miss.
Where I live (Bay Ridge, Brooklyn) we at one time (in the 1950s-1970s) had MANY movie theaters within a just say a two to three mile radius. I can think of three off the top of my head. Of those three, only one exists. There were probably more. For whatever reason, this area was, until the late 1970s, a haven for movie theaters.