View Single Post
Old 07-25-2002, 02:09 AM

I am a pharmacist, and as such, I can tell you that 1) With absolutely no intererest in you switching from brand name drugs to generics, it will save you money, it is the exact same freakin' drug (regulated by the FDA in the USA), 2) It is absorbed exactly the same way, and 3) the generic drug will do the same thing that the brand name drug is supposed to. I am a pharmacist (as I said), but honestly, I could care less if you went for a brand name drug or its generic counterpart. If you had half a brain and researched it, you would realize that generics are equivalent in every way, shape, and form, to brand name drugs. The only reason people are still using brand name drugs which have generics are that they feel that the "brand name" is superior (placebo effect) or that their doctor tells them to take it (drug rep. influence). Recently, I had a case of bronchitis which required a trip to the Neighborhood Doctor (a walk-in clinic). The doc prescribed an antibiotic, a decongestant, and an expectorant/antihistamine. She openly told me that she preferred the decongestant and expectorant because the drug rep that had visited her was a friend and she was getting samples of the drug. She wrote "brand name medically necessary" and gave me 6 refills on both of those drugs (mind you, this is after informing her that I was a pharmacist). I thought that this was both highly unecessary for her to give me 6 refills, and, unwarranted, to write "medically necessary". Re: generic drug formulations for drugs that have a narrow therapeutic index, please e-mail me: there are studies that show that even for those drugs, there is absolutely no reason to mandate for brand names.