View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 05:32 AM

I have a hardcover of the Simon edition of the Necronomicon (as advertised in Heavy Metal, Omni, and other magazines at the time). It makes a great coffee table book.

My guests don't stay very long.

tiltypig beat me to "Why Cats Paint." I've never heard of "Why Paint Cats," though. I could never decide whether WCP was a send-up, or not. I've seen elephants paint (and they weren't just slopping paint at random, they were painting recognisable pictures), so you never know.

The strangest book that I've every seen (and I am still kicking myself for not splurging on it 15 years later) was a very large (probably 12-14 inches tall, 10-12 inches deep, and 3-4 inches thick) book I found in a used bookstore once. I am convinced that I cannot remember the title verbatim, because I have never been able to find any reference to it on the internet. However, it dealt with the brothers and sisters of Tetragrammaton. The basic thesis was that the God of the Bible had many siblings, and this book contained the Scriptures of the rest of His family. I don't recall the copyright date, but I'm guessing it was close to 100 years ago. All of the illustrations were finely detailed engravings, and the print was very small.

They wanted $60 for it at the time, which I didn't have. When I went back to buy it, it was gone.

If it rings a bell for anyone, let me know. I would love to have this on my shelf.