View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 07:43 AM

Back during the height of the Rubik's cube craze I bought a book written by an English prodigy on how to solve the damned thing. It wasn't well written and I got nowhere with it - started looking for another, better book.

When our Scholastic Book catalog featured Not Another Cube Book, I place the order then awaited the day I could show off to my friends.

Book arrived. Not a whit of an instruction contained therein. It was a spoof of how the cube shaped history, tracing its roots back to Adam and Eve (illustration of a forsaken apple while Adam was twiddling). Strange, obscure, and dumb to boot!

----
More recently, on a whim in Chapters I picked up a copy of Time's Arrow. I'm not sure how obscure it is; I've yet to meet someone who's heard of it.

Strange though. It's written backwards. No, not like the movie Memento where you see the end scene, followed by the scene that happened just before it, leap frogging back to the beginning. It's more like watching a film while it's rewinding. The story begins with the protagonist dead - then a few seconds later he feels much better, surrounded by doctors, ultimately concluding with his birth - the other end of his life. Conversations begin with "Goodbye" and end with "Hello" The description of going to the bathroom will make you clench! The strange device works though, adding drama and unique perspective on the Nazi atrocities.