View Single Post
Old 03-05-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God help me I went back to the original thread
Imagine a plane is sitting on a massive conveyor belt, as wide and as long as a runway, and intends to take off. The conveyer belt is designed to exactly match the speed of the wheels at any given time, moving in the opposite direction of rotation.
I went way way back to the original question. Before Cecil addressed it.

I was wrong about the Ďplane speed/wheel speedí thing. The original question states wheel speed.

I think someone in that thread showed that it is impossible for the treadmill to match the wheel speed unless everything was at a full stop. Meaning not movin/spinning at all. Unless, the conveyor could continue to accelerate and keep the plane from moving. To look at the question that way, the question answers itself. The only way for the planes wheel speed can match the conveyor speed is if the plane is not moving relative to the ground. So obviously, it would not take off.

Not sure what the question was really asking. If it concerned the ability of a plane to take off while not moving but with the engines at full power, the answer is so obvious that I canít imagine anyone seriously asking it (as it turns out some folks didnít get that either :stunned: ). Why even include the conveyor part at all?

Anyway, I thought that my example of the plane actually hooked to the conveyor pulling it underneath itself as it went forward at least showed a system where the conveyor matched the speed of the plane. Does this also mean the speed of the wheels?

:shrug:.

Depends.

Have a nice Sunday.