View Single Post
Old 12-29-2006, 11:18 PM
Mod Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterj2
Looking at a 1922 silver dollar I have lying around, "In God We Trust" is on the obverse and "E Pluribus Unum" is on the reverse, just as it is now. So whatever developments happened in 1956, I don't see what difference they made.
E Pluribus Unum was the official motto (I do not know why a nation needs one) from late in the eighteenth century. In the middle of the nineteenth century, there was a mad drive by a few loons to make (Protestant) Christianity the "true" religion of the U.S. (Constitution be damned) to make sure that those horrible Catholic immigrants did not get any wild ideas that they might be welcome. The only result of their failed effort was that, in the midst of the Civil War, someone talked the Treasury Secretary into having "In God We Trust" placed on U.S. coins.

In the mid-1950s, there was a push to get the motto changed to "In God We Trust" that made it through Congress. (For some reason, however, they forgot to de-activate the first motto, so, technically, we have two.)

With the passage of the "new" motto, the government later got around to putting "In God We Trust" on our paper currency as well. (1960? 1962? I'm not going to look it up right now.)

So, coins between 1863 and 1956 carried "In God We Trust" (a platitude with no standing) as well as carrying the (at that time official and solitary) motto, E Pluribus Unum.