View Single Post
Old 11-28-2000, 04:56 PM

I don't know which is the correct definition, C3, the first or the second. However, I can tell you that either definition yields an infinite number of numbers.

Assuming that the true definition of semi-prime numbers is the first one, the only numbers available are odd, square numbers whose square root = a prime number. Seems like a small amount, huh? But another way to put it is: take any prime, multiply it by itself, and you get a semi-square number. Since there are an infinite number of primes, there must, logically, be an infinite number of semi-primes.

There is, on average, a prime number once out of every seven numbers. That's, IMO, quite astonishing. This is true no matter how far up the ladder you go (and they've found primes with almost TEN MILLION numbers contained in it).

Here's where math goes fuzzy because I'm not bothering to figure it out. If there's a prime number once every seven, it seems safe to assume that semi-prime numbers occur, on average, once in every 49 numbers. But, while that may in fact be correct, that is as close to a WAG as I can get so don't spout it off as fact.